Welcome!

Venice has 'captured' the heart, mind and imagination of so many writers, poets, artists and historians. Venice is one of my favourite subjects in art, literature and history, and I am always eager to learn more and look more at this unique and special place. This Venice blog is my way of collecting the wealth of images, poems, prose and impressions of Venice.

Sunday 12 June 2016

Marforio's dragon and his umbrellas in Marzaria Due Aprile, San Marco

I think many visitors to Venice will remember, if only subliminally, this landmark on that well-trodden route between the Rialto bridge to the Piazza San Marco, near the church of San Salvador.

Image of sculptural umbrellas, a landmark in Venice
A familiar visual landmark on the route between Piazza San Marco and the Rialto Bridge - those umbrellas!  Photo (c) Capturing Venice.

The dragon and the umbrellas mark the site of Venice's famous Marforio leather goods shop, which traded here from 1875.  I couldn't find the date, even an approximate one, for when it closed, but the dragon and these colourful umbrellas remain.

To be precise, this landmark is on the corner of the Marzaria Due Aprile and Marzaria San Salvador.  

The Marziaria San Salvador is named for the nearby baroque church of San Salvador.  

The plaque on the wall notes that this stretch of street was enlarged in 1884 under the mayorship of Sergio Aligheri.

1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I visited and took a photo of this over 15 years ago! I am finally going back to Italy! I unearthed the photo and thanks to your details I'll find my dragon again!!!!

    ReplyDelete